IE6 Support: How much longer?

I came across the IE Death March site last week and it made me wonder how long it will be until we can safely ignore this browser. I still have many clients who use IE6 for whatever reason, and therefore spend a lot of time compensating for their browser’s issues.

I wondered if any of my fellow developers out there have any plans to drop support for it, and when. If IE6 were a kid, he would be starting second grade this fall. Thoughts?

Luke Simpson
Monk Development

Edited by lukesimpson on 9/2/08

I agree, it can’t go away fast enough for most of us.

I think a lot of developers base the browsers they support from Yahoo’s Graded Browser Support Chart() This sounds so depressing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it took two years for them to drop it.

When it does die, I’ll be having a pizza party.

Shoot, if IE6 were a kid it’s that 35 year old lazy son who still lives in his mama’s basement. Get the #*?@! of the house boy.

Now that I’ve vented, I’m not exactly sure we have a deadline or even a date in mind to stop supporting it. I’ve considered adding a small black strip at the top of all our sites with a note about the poor performance of IE6 and links to upgrade to better browsers. A link to remove the warning that would set a cookie that would hide it for future visits may be an option. sigh

Ben Otero
Church Plant Media

I think adding a “You’ve Been Warned” band across the top of the site would be a great solution for when we officially stop supporting ie6.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it now for something like a personal blog.

page 1 of 1

discussions 1 to 4 of 4